|“||My whole life, I trained to become a guardian of the Dragon Gem. But this world has changed, and its people are divided. Now, to restore peace, I must find the Last Dragon.||„|
The daughter of Chief Benja, she is the princess of Kumandra’s Heart land. In her youth, Raya was appointed the Guardian of the Dragon Gem. When the Gem was broken, a plague known as the Druun was unleashed upon the world, turning much of humanity into stone — including Benja. To save her father, Raya embarked on a quest to retrieve the Gem pieces and use its power to vanquish the Druun for good.
Raya is a beautiful young southeast Asian girl of average height with a slender, slightly muscular build, tan skin, long black hair, and dark brown eyes. She usually wears a yellow shirt, a brown vest, a brown belt, olive green jeans with light green stripes, dark brown boots with maroon cuffs, a red cape with a thin turquoise stripe and a yellow necklace around her neck, and a conical hat. She also wears a blue band above her elbow, and a thick brown wristband on her right arm. She appears to be 18 years old in the movie.
Raya is a headstrong young woman who is mature and wisened for someone her age. She is a very capable person and is shown to easily adapt to situations around her. Despite her maturity, she retains a sense of humor and occasionally shows a bit of playfulness when such a moment presents itself. She deeply cares for her father and has a strong emotional attachment to certain people she considers her friends. Her biggest flaw is her inability to trust others due to trusting Namaari as well as her father trying to keep the peace.
Abilities And Weapons
Kali Sticks: In her youth, Raya used these for training. They were also her primary weapon at the time.
Whip Sword: Raya's primary weapon as an adult that belonged to her father, Chief Benja. She uses it like a typical bladed weapon, but the blade can detatch in a long-bladed string that she uses to grab and attack from afar.
Grappling Hook: Raya owns a grabbling hook that is strong enough to embed itself into stone.
- Cassie Steele was originally cast as the voice of Raya, but it was announced on August 27, 2020, that she would be replaced by Kelly Marie Tran. The reasons as to why this change was because the recasting was due to creative shifts in the character and story.
- Raya means "great" in both Malay and Indonesian.
- It's unknown who her mother is since it has never been mentioned in the film.
- She is to be blame for Sisu’s death since she use her whip to strike Namaari while holding her crossbow.
- She is the third princess in the Disney family to be left-handed, followed by Tiana and Mulan.